Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Apparently Funny Women Turn Men Off

The Independent (UK) for January 29, 2006, in the article, "Why Men Don't Fancy Funny Women," reports on a study to be published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior. Unfortunately, the article is already behind the archival wall. I picked up my copy via Lexis-Nexis. The finding is basically that men are ok with women having a sense of humor, just not women who actually express humor. In others words, men want them to laugh at their jokes, but they don't want women to be the ones telling the jokes. Here is another finding from the research, according to the article in the newspaper,

"The research project, which also involved academics from the University of Massachusetts and McMaster University, Ontario, showed that while men were not so interested in "humour-producing women" in long-term relationships, they showed a preference for such types when it came to short-term relationships and one-night stands."
Well, no one asked me. I like to laugh, so if a woman can make me laugh, more power to her. If she can make me laugh and have fun while in bed, hey, it sounds great. I guess the only thing may be if she points at a certain place and laughs or cracks jokes. Then again, that would turn anyone off. However, I think her laughing over that would open the door for me to point at certain places for her and make jokes too. Maybe in the end we would both laugh, and that would be a good thing. Less tension, then more relaxed, you get the idea. Then again, no one asked me.

Which reminds me of the Elton John song, "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues," specifically the chorus:

And I guess that's why they call it the blues
Time on my hands could be time spent with you
Laughing like children, living like lovers
Rolling like thunder under the covers
And I guess that's why they call it the blues


Which reminds me, when I get home, I need to go spend some time with the one who shares my laughter and rolls under the covers with me.

A hat tip to the Stay Free Daily for pointing this out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Why don't they ever ask people like us? I could certainly use a lot more laughing in my life!

A. Rivera said...

Mark: Haha, that is a magnificent question.