Friday, March 31, 2006

If I was an American City. . .who knew?

It's Friday, so readers know odds are good it's quiz time. Hmm, who knew? I moved to Texas almost two years ago after living in Indiana and the Midwest well over a decade. The scary thing is that the description of the city fits me quite nicely, which makes me wonder how I managed so well in the Midwest, supposedly a more "wholesome" kind of place. I am still making up my mind about Texas. I am hoping Houston will not bias me against the rest of the state (let's just say Houston has its moments, to put it mildly). Anyhow, feel free to take a try at the quiz.



You Are Austin

A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll.
You're totally weird and very proud of it.
Artistic and freaky, you still seem to fit in... in your own strange way.

Famous Austin residents: Lance Armstrong, Sandra Bullock, Andy Roddick

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started to take this one, but I quit at "what part of the US do you like the best?"

I mean, "What the heck?"

Where in the world is the Midwest? If I don't want to choose the South, the west coasts (sic, I thought there was only one?), New England/Northeast, or the mountain states, I'm left with the country or any big city.

Excuse me, but the South covers a lot of territory to include coastal and non-coastal areas. There is "country" in all of those places and more. And I don't particularly like big cities, except to visit. Again, where's the Midwest?

Not grumpin' at you; I know you didn't write it. Just sayin'....

As for Texas, well, I certainly have mixed feelings, but I try to keep in mind that both stays were due to the military. Killeen certainly, nor even El Paso, "represent" all of Texas. And based on my little time spent in Austin, it sure seemed pretty nice. Only been in Houston for a short time, wasn't so impressed. DFW, well, we'll leave that one alone. ;)

Anonymous said...

By the way, I just went ahead and chose "any big city" (a complete lie of course) and I got Austin, too.

Maybe now that we are the same city we can share that wine. ;)

But since it really was based on a lie I won't be blogging it.

A. Rivera said...

Mark: I actually retook the quiz, thinking maybe I make some "mistake," but nope, it came out the same. Go figure. Midwest, at least as I understand it, would cover places like IN(where I moved from to Houston), IL, MO, OH, and IA. Some of "tornado alley" is Midwest. Some people would see it as "fly over country." (They don't call Indiana the "Crossroads of America for nothing. It means you have to drive through it to get someplace else). Anyhow, that is how they explained it to me when I moved to Indiana as a young undergraduate many moons ago. I do have to say I miss it at times, but that is another post. I still have mixed feelings about Texas. It may yet be a while before I settle in (or decide to "rectify" the situation and move again. We'll see). Best and keep on blogging.