Monday, July 24, 2006

Booknote: Cowboy Logic

Kinky Friedman. Cowboy Logic: The Wit and Wisdom of Kinky Friedman (and some of his friends). New York: St. Martin's Press, 2006.

After I got done with the project revision for Immersion, I had a bit of free time before the evening event. The UH M.D. Anderson Library has a small leisure reading area near the front. It has a display of new popular books, and it has some soft seating. I have heard of Kinky Friedman, Texas's most irreverent and popular humorist (among other things) for a while, and when I saw this little book on display, I just had to pick it up. I sat down to read it, then I found myself checking it out. The book is basically a collection of sayings, witty statements, so on with the humor that makes Kinky so good at the art of the one liner. If you are looking for political correctness, go someplace else. If you want something to make you smile, maybe think a bit, and just laugh, this is very good. For instance, he has a little list of things a Texan would never says such as "we don't keep firearms in this house." He also talks about politics, and it is a timely book given he is running for governor of Texas. He also pokes fun at himself along with everything else. If you want something light and quick, this is a good choice.

No comments: