Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Looking at Mickey Spillane

Mickey Spillane, the creator of Mike Hammer, recently passed away. The site Crime Time featured an article on the author and his work that makes for interesting reading. Steve Holland sets up "Mickey Spillane-You the Jury" as a trial on the work of Mickey Spillane that looks at how Spillane was admired by readers and hated by some critics. I remember reading I, The Jury a few years ago, and I admit that I enjoyed it very much. What can I say? I like hard boiled detective tales. It was one of those books on my list of items to read, and I managed to find an old paperback copy in a second hand store very cheap. Having read some Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, it seemed to go along. At any rate, I will let readers look over the evidence and decide.

No comments: