Friday, October 27, 2006

Yankee or Dixie talk quiz

And since it is Friday, odd are good the readers of this blog, who may number more than two by now (maybe 3?), know what that means. Yes, it's one of those online quizzes I amuse myself with once in a while. Since I posted about language today, I figured this would go along nicely. Now, how the heck they figure I have any Dixie percentage, being a nice Hispanic boy is beyond me. I did live in the Midwest for over a decade, if that helps. Anyhow, this one asks you questions about how you pronouce certain words, so I think some may find it interesting.

My result: 43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Where the quiz can be found, y'all.

5 comments:

A. Rivera said...

Jenn: I lived in Indiana for over a decade before I moved to Texas (due to my work). Indiana was interesting because the southern part, closer to KY, you could hear some differences than say the Gary area. Hmm, you have been all over the Midwest. Maybe Texas does rub in pretty quick on people. Thanks for stopping by. Best, and keep on blogging.

Anonymous said...

Even as these "tests" go, this one's pretty heavy on the bovine excrement scale.

I initially scored 45%, same as you, pretty d**n amazing for a native Northern Californian who speaks Californian with a Central Valley ideolect (that is, "broadcast speak"--slightly over-pronounced syllables--with two very specific words, "apricot" and "almond," pronounced the way that growers and very few other people pronounce them). 45% Southern? Huh?

I thought that was a loopy score, given the feedback on each question, so I changed one answer to an equally-correct answer (the "jam" in "pajamas")--and suddenly it was 40% and said I was a Yankee. So, Jenn, 26% should mean you can't even understand Southerners, much less talk like them--by this test's standards, that's almost a negative score.

A. Rivera said...

Hey Walt: Yea, I could not help but get a laugh when I got the result. I did not fiddle with it whole lot though, but I am sure I could have "improved" the score, if there is such a thing? I did not quite get the one about pajamas, does everybody not say it the same way? Oh well, it's the giggle of day. Best, and keep on blogging.

Liz said...

Puh-jamm-uhs vs. Pa-jawm-ahs

A. Rivera said...

Liz: And then, there is "pee-jah-mas" or PJ's, or who knows what else. Best, and keep on blogging.