Thursday, November 16, 2006

If your 'hood lacks a library, tell your government to get you one

This is a cool quote, in my view. Comes from the April 15, 2006 edition of Library Journal's Front Desk section. I got to see it now via the ever slow internal routing. Good thing I have the journal on one of my alerts so I can actually read the stuff in a timely fashion. The quote then:

"Don't blame the white man for nothing. . . I came to this country--I didn't know how to speak English, I made something of myself. I went to the library. . . They got libraries in the 'hood. And if they don't got libraries, tell your mayor, your governor, whoever in your county, put some more f***in' libraries in the 'hood."

--Haitian-born musician Wyclef Jean, in the film Dave Chappelle's Block Party.

1 comment:

Hyathin said...

Thanks for posting this, I was trying to find the quote. The implications are huge and provocative. I haven't really decided how much I agree or disagree with him yet, but I can't argue with the fact that for him it was true.