Friday, December 01, 2006

Does Guacamole Need Avocados In It?

Yes as far as I am concerned. Then again, a reason why I prefer to eat homemade guacamole when I can rather than buying some "dip." First, a judge had to define what was a sandwich and a burrito. Now, a lady is suing Kraft Foods because their product labeled "guacamole dip" does not have enough avocados in it. According to the wire report,

"The Kraft product contains modified food starch, coconut and soybean oils, corn syrup and food coloring. It is less than 2 percent avocado, which in traditional recipes is the main ingredient of the Mexican dish."


I am sorry, but less than two percent avocado a guacamole does not make. Heck, it does not even make a simple avocado dip. Of course, we soon get the corporate reply,

"'We think customers understand that it isn't made from avocado,' Claire Regan, Kraft Foods' vice president of corporate affairs, told the Los Angeles Times. "All of the ingredients are listed on the label for consumers to reference.'"


Oh really? Well, on the one hand maybe that is a spot for reminding people to read those labels. On the other, it sounds like another shameful corporate excuse after getting busted for not having a true guacamole dip. I wonder what the average consumer thinks when they see something labeled as "guacamole dip"? Me, being the cynic I am, well, I don't want to know what is in it. I say stick with the homemade. It's not that hard to make. Find some recipes here and here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guacamole with only 2% avocado? Craziness! I don't think it would even occur to me to double-check a label of something claiming to be guacamole to make sure it actually has avocado in it. Of course, this would explain why commercial avocado dip tastes so bad.

waltc said...

Playing devil's advocate (with tongue firmly in cheek): Maybe the Kraft product is intended for you to dip guacamole into. You know, you get a tortilla chip, load it with guacamole, and dip it into the Kraft dip for your daily dose of modified food starch goodness.

Otherwise, that's astonishing, no matter how a spokesperson explains it away. I'd expect avocado to be the first ingredient.

A. Rivera said...

Hi there Jenne, craziness indeed. Oh Walt, you made me smile playing devil's advocate there. I have to admit that I did not even consider the possibility it was for dipping your avocado in it. Thanks for stopping by. Best, and keep on blogging.