Friday, June 22, 2007

The Nostalgic 5 Songs Meme

I got tagged for this by Woody, so here goes my attempt. Now, Woody twisted it a bit to suit him. Since I do listen to Pandora, I may try it his way next time I have the player on. In the meantime, here is the version as Woody got it, via Ruminations.

The rules then:

1. Go to the Billboard #1 Hits listings (scroll down and you’ll see them separated by decades on the left in the sidebar)
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year
4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more people

My year was 1988. I am not too thrilled with the songs for that year, even though, overall, I am an 80s fan. Thanks to YouTube, I was able to go back and revisit some of them. So, my five choices:

  1. George Harrison, "I Got My Mind Set On You." It's a silly and simple song, but it still brings a smile to my face. I like the video's setting, because, for some reason, I want a reading room just like that. I love also the squirrel with the pipe for a saxophone.
  2. Terence Trent D'Arby. "Wishing Well." "Kissing like a bandit, stealing time. . ." I loved that line. The beat was also one I liked; it would put me on a nice mellow. A nice slow tune. I think songs like this led to my interest later in life in music along the lines of techno, trance, electronica, and similar.
  3. Rick Astley, "Never Gonna Give You Up." I happen to like Astley, though I like his song "She Wants to Dance With Me" much better than this one. Anyhow, Astley was popular around the time I started dating my better half, and it would be on in the Student Union on Fridays quite a bit. I am sure as heck not giving her up. By the way, for some reason, I liked guys who wore suits and ties (yes, I like Huey Lewis and Robert Palmer too, for instance).
  4. George Michael, "Faith." No rocket science here. I just like the guitar and the song. The organ music at the beginning is always nice. Then again, I sort of still like ecclesiastical sounding music (a hangover from my Catholic upraising from which I am recuperating. I am very happy in my heathenism these days). And hey, the song just has a good beat.
  5. INXS, "I Need You Tonight." Hmm, INXS, what is there not to like?
There were a few other songs I liked that did not make it to the top Billboard that year.

Not tagging anyone, since by now, I think most people have picked it up, but if it moves you, hey, go for it.

No comments: