Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Meme

Just one of those memes found on the Internet, with a Christmas theme this time. Since it is Christmas Eve, it seems appropriate enough.

  1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? A bit of both. We mostly use wrapping paper, but there are one or two gifts we put in a gift bag.
  2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial in our house. I don't particularly like having to deal with the pine needles. I do like the pine scent, but we just burn a nice candle for the effect. Not that it matters. The cats try to nibble at it anyhow when it comes out.
  3. When do you put up the tree?
    Pretty much close to the holiday. We put up the tree without decorations for a day so the cats get used to it. We then put on the decorations and ornaments.
  4. When do you take the tree down?After Epiphany. We do celebrate Three Kings Day (Dia de Reyes) in our household.
  5. Do you like eggnog?I sure do. I also like Coquito, which my family back in Puerto Rico always makes. I have not made it in a while. Have to do so one of these years.
  6. Favourite gift received as a child?Hmm, I had a few. I had quite a Star Wars collection. I also like Legos quite a bit.
  7. Do you have a Nativity scene?Yes, we do. And we have another little tradition where Joseph and Mary make their way to the stable. Basically, we put out the stable. Then Joseph and Mary, with the donkey, begin their travel in some other part of the house. They gradually "move" towards Bethlehem. Baby Jesus does not appear on the manger until Christmas morning. Later, the Three Wise Men travel as well. Our daughter has fun keeping track of their movements.
  8. Hardest person to buy for? I can't recall anyone particularly difficult to buy for. Adults in our family don't exchange gifts as much. We do more for the kids. Adults may get a basket or gift card.
  9. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Clothes, and I mean basics like socks. I can get that any time of the year. Hated it as a kid, and I find it slightly annoying now. However, small holiday themed things like a tie would be ok. Actually, I have a small tie collection. I don't wear them as much as I used to, but now and then I do. If you find some rare tie (does not have to be Christmas themed; I have Star Wars, Coca Cola, Halloween, etc. Who knows, maybe that will be the subject of some future post?), that would be ok for example.
  10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I am personally moving to e-mail. Last two years have been so hectic (the wife and I work different schedules) we have not been able to send out the cards in the mail. This may be something we rethink at some point. We do like sending the cards, but as I said, last two years time caught up to us.
  11. Favourite Christmas Movie? I don't like holiday movies very much to be perfectly honest. I find them mostly predictable and too sentimental. Some, like A Christmas Story, I find irritating. As of late, I would say The Polar Express would be my favorite with a blend of sense of wonder without excessive sap. I always enjoy How The Grinch Stole Christmas (I prefer the cartoon version, but will watch the Carey film if it is on). I should add, my humor tends to be on the dark side. A film like Santa's Slay, cheesy as it may be, works for me (you can see a trailer for the film here. The opening scene certainly reflects what I wish I could do with some holiday gatherings. Not for the faint of heart, by the way.).
  12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? As soon as I get a chance. Usually sometime after Thanksgiving. We don't really shop on Black Friday. Anytime after that is fair.
  13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I haven't. The missus has, usually for work exchanges.
  14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? I happen to enjoy Puerto Rican typical fare for Christmas. My parents often make some of it at some point.
  15. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored lights.
  16. Favorite Christmas song? Puerto Rican holiday music. However, I do like some of the classics in English as well. I am pretty eclectic in this regard.
  17. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We stay at home. Often, it is due to the fact my wife may have to work on Christmas Eve, making any travel impractical. We usually travel to see family (mine; they live in Fort Worth), if nearby, on the days between Christmas and Epiphany.
  18. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? If I google them I can (ha ha). Let me see: Dancer, Rudolph, Blitzen, that is about it.
  19. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star, just a small one.
  20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? In the morning.
  21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Pretty much the shoppers, especially the traffic. Even though it is not as bad as Houston, there are still some boneheads on the roads, extra ones to the usual ones. I don't mind the shopping, but I do mind the crowds, so I try to shop at off times or online.
  22. Best thing about this time of year? Definitely the time to spend with the family.


Found via the Library Despot.

No comments: