Monday, March 10, 2008

Songs from my high school senior year

I saw this meme over at A Chair, a Fireplace, and a Tea Cozy, and I held on to it for a while. Life and all, you know. Anyhow, here we go. My year is 1988, and this is the list of top songs at the time.

Bold= Loved it.
Italics= Liked
Strikeout = Hated it.

And my addition:

Left the same (unmarked) = blah (indifferent. Usually a song that was either ok, or one I just don't care enough to even hate it.)

The list:

1. Faith, George Michael
2. Need You Tonight, INXS
3. Got My Mind Set On You, George Harrison (what can I say? Catchy tune, at least back then)
4. Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Astley
5. Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns N' Roses
6. So Emotional, Whitney Houston (liked it back then. These days, I can barely stand Whitney Houston. Goes to show tastes do change)
7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Belinda Carlisle
8. Could've Been, Tiffany
9. Hands To Heaven, Breathe
10. Roll With It, Steve Winwood
11. One More Try, George Michael (I remember this was popular for slow dancing back then)
12. Wishing Well, Terence Trent d'Arby
13. Anything For You, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine (meh. I sort of liked MSM and Gloria back then. Sort of lukewarm now).
14. The Flame, Cheap Trick (I actually heard them in concert while I was in undergrad).
15. Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car, Billy Ocean
16. Seasons Change, Expose
17. Is This Love, Whitesnake (Cool video. I liked some of their harder music better like "Heat of the Night.").
18. Wild, Wild West, Escape Club
19. Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leppard (still love Def Leppard. Any song pretty much works for me).
20. I'll Always Love You, Taylor Dayne (Actually, when I think of Taylor, it's not Dayne I think about but Taylor Wane, the adult star. Go figure. Yes, my brain is weird like that sometimes. Then again, who'd you rather have, so to speak?)
21. Man In The Mirror, Michael Jackson (I like Jacko's music, but this is not his best)
22. Shake Your Love, Debbie Gibson
23. Simply Irresistible, Robert Palmer
24. Hold On To The Nights, Richard Marx
25. Hungry Eyes, Eric Carmen
26. Shattered Dreams, Johnny Hates Jazz
27. Father Figure, George Michael
28. Naught Girls (Need Love Too), Samantha Fox (silly song, but funny)
29. A Groovy Kind Of Love, Phil Collins
30. Love Bites, Def Leppard
31. Endless Summer Nights, Richard Marx
32. Foolish Beat, Debbie Gibson
33. Where Do Broken Hearts Go, Whitney Houston
34. Angel, Aerosmith
35. Hazy Shade Of Winter, Bangles (I also saw them in concert as an undergrad. This show I liked a lot better).
36. The Way You Make Me Feel, Michael Jackson (still not his best)
37. Don't Worry, Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin (I don't really hate a lot of songs. This one I hate with a passion.)
38. Make Me Lose Control, Eric Carmen (I had not heard it in a while. Cool)
39. Red Red Wine, UB40 (I thought it was just annoying as hell, like a loud whine.)
40. She's Like The Wind, Patric Swayze
41. Bad Medicine, Bon Jovi
42. Kokomo, Beach Boys
43. I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That, Elton John
44. Together Forever, Rick Astley
45. Monkey, George Michael
46. Devil Inside, INXS
47. Should've Known Better, Richard Marx (meh. It was ok).
48. I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love, Chicago
49. The Loco-Motion, Kylie Minogue (sort of like it, but since it has become one of those wedding staples, sort of annoying now. I do like Kylie Minogue overall.).
50. What Have I Done To Deserve This?, Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield
51. Make It Real, Jets (I barely remember this, even listening to it now.)
52. What's On Your Mind, Information Society
53. Tell It To My Heart, Taylor Dayne (I like this one slightly better than the other one above.)
54. Out Of The Blue, Debbie Gibson
55. Don't You Want Me, Jody Watley
56. Desire, U2
57. I Get Weak, Belinda Carlisle
58. Sign Your Name, Terence Trent d'Arby (Not bad, just one I don't recall much)
59. I Want To Be Your Man, Roger (don't recall this one either)
60. Girlfriend, Pebbles
61. Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson (see note above. Still not his best)
62. 1-2-3, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
63. Mercedes Boy, Pebbles
64. Perfect World, Huey Lewis and the News
65. New Sensation, INXS
66. Catch Me (I'm Falling), Pretty Poison
67. If It Isn't Love, New Edition(ah, the boy bands, even then, sort of blah)
68. Rocket 2 U, Jets
69. One Good Woman, Peter Cetera
70. Don't Be Cruel, Cheap Trick
71. Candle In The Wind, Elton John
72. Everything Your Heart Desires, Daryl Hall and John Oates
73. Say You Will , Foreigner
74. I Want Her, Keith Sweat
75. Pink Cadillac, Natalie Cole
76. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman (this is one my wife likes as well.)
77. Electric Blue, Icehouse
78. The Valley Road, Bruce Hornsby and The Range
79. Don't Be Cruel, Bobby Brown
80. Always On My Mind, Pet Shop Boys
81. Piano In The Dark, Brenda Russell Featuring Joe Esposito (I don't think this one made it to my circles back then, so to speak. It's ok though now that I've heard it).
82. When It's Love, Van Halen
83. Don't Shed A Tear, Paul Carrack
84. We'll Be Together, Sting
85. I Hate Myself For Loving You, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
86. I Don't Want To Live Without You, Foreigner
87. Nite And Day, Al B. Sure (apparently this one did not make it either, so to speak.)
88. Don't You Know What The Night Can Do, Steve Winwood
89. One Moment In Time, Whitney Houston
90. Can't Stay Away From You, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
91. Kissing A Fool, George Michael
92. Cherry Bomb, John Cougar Mellencamp (overall, you can never go wrong with Mellencamp).
93. I Still Believe, Brenda K. Starr
94. I Found Someone, Cher
95. Never Tear Us Apart, INXS
96. Valerie, Steve Windwood
97. Just Like Paradise, David Lee Roth
98. Nothin' But A Good Time, Poison
99. Wait, White Lion
100. Prove Your Love, Taylor Dayne (I like this one better than her other song)


The list comes from this site. If you want to do a different year, and you use the link, easiest way is simply to use the search box typing "top songs" and the year; it will get you a link. For stuff I did not recall off the top of my head, YouTube worked quite well, except for one song. It was interesting to look them up and go, "oh yea, I remember that now." I should clarify, since I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, I missed a couple in favor of the Latin Music that was popular back then as well. Rock and pop were popular, still are, back in Puerto Rico, but so are the sounds of salsa, merengue, and now reggaeton for instance. Result is I have a very eclectic music taste. Maybe a list of Latin music for next time? Who knows. In the meantime, I will be adding a few of these to my favorites list in YouTube.

No comments: