Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Even after death, you can get evicted

Welcome to another edition of "Signs that the economy is bad" here at The Itinerant Librarian. When I first saw this in BuzzFeed, I thought it was a joke. After all, a lot of what they publish is a joke, so I just figured another "ha ha" moment." However, on following the link they provide to the Freakanomics blog, it seems true that a cemetery is in foreclosure. You know the economy has to be in the crapper when even cemeteries get foreclosed. And here I thought that the mortuary industry was pretty much recession-proof. I mean, everybody dies, and someone has to take care of their last needs. But from the looks of the story, that may not be the case anymore. I am sure they can't just toss the bodies buried in the cemetery aside if the place gets bought by a new owner, but it is still something to consider in this economy.

No comments: