Saturday, June 26, 2010

A TV Meme

I am once again using a prompt from the blog Ruminations to get some writing in. Ok, it's just cheap entertainment for me. So, here are the questions as provided with my replies.

Do you snack while watching TV? Sometimes.



What is your favorite TV show? This varies. These days I watch a lot of stuff on places like the Discovery Channel and History Channel. From those, I like Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, and Deadliest Catch (though not as much as I liked it the first season or so). I also watch Ice Road Truckers and Swamp Loggers when I see it is on and I remember.



What TV show makes you run to change channels? Most reality television makes me want to run for the hills. I will be blunt: I do not give a rodent's derriere for shows like Jersey Shore, the Real Housewives of Wherever the Hell (or whatever a bunch of prima donna overrated mostly over the hill trophy wives with vacuous lives call themselves), Survivor, the one on TruTv about the repo people, etc. I believe that eons from now, when whatever advanced race finds evidence we existed, they will be able to point to reality television as one of the major reasons for our societal decay and our intellectual fall. These shows pretty much just highlight the worse humanity has to offer. That they are popular says a lot about how low society has gone.

How do you view your TV guide: online, on-screen, newspaper, magazine, other? I rarely view a TV guide in any form. I just catch stuff as I see it. There are a couple of shows I remember when they are on, and I try to make it point of watching them. Otherwise, I don't worry about it too much.

Have you ever been surveyed for your TV-viewing habits or do you know anyone who has been? No on both counts.

Do you watch TV news and/or current affairs regularly? I watch current affairs fairly often, but at times I watch the stuff in short spurts and in the background. In other words, I may have CNN turned on, but I will be on the laptop reading online feeds or doing something else. As of late, I get most of my news online, so by the time I get home, if I watch TV, I want something escapist.

Do you watch any TV “soaps”? (Truth please, even if it is embarrassing.) No. Although I suppose a show like Deadliest Catch could be considered a "soap" of sorts. Even though it is supposed to be a show documenting the work the crab fishermen do, it does share a lot of in common with soap operas in terms of injecting drama.


What other series shows do you try not to miss? There are not too many if any that I worry about missing. There were shows I used to worry about missing, but they have ended, and no worthy replacement has appeared.

Any previous series or shows you really liked? Yes. Previous shows and series I liked include: The X-Files, Homicide: Life on the Streets, Millenium, Babylon 5, Farscape.

Do you have pay TV or are the digital channels enough? I am not sure what this means. But if it helps, yes, we have cable. And it is pretty basic.

Do you only watch certain TV shows online? My computer at home is not good enough to really watch whole shows online. Hey, I am a librarian. The salary is not good enough to upgrade every two or three years like some people do.

Do you regularly use services like ABC catch-up or other online replays? Nope.

Do you ever pay any attention to the adverts? Once in a while, if they are amusing.

Do you multi-task while watching TV & if so what else are you doing? Yes, I multi-task. At home, I am usually on the laptop reading feeds or doing some writing.

Is there a TV show that makes you laugh out loud? These days? Not really.

Have you ever said no to a social invitation to stay at home and watch TV? (Truth again please.) Mind telling us what the show was? Not that I recall.

Do you record TV shows & if so why and how (VCR, DVD recorder, TIVO, laptop, etc.)? I used to tape stuff on VHS back in the day (dating myself here). I don't record much, but the better half, who works odd hours, does like using the DV recorder quite a bit.

Least favourite TV personality/actor/character? Pretty much most political pundits, especially conservative ones like Beck, Limbaugh, etc., who do nothing more than bully, misinform, mislead, peddle fear and ignorance. As a librarian, people who do that sort of thing, and do it for no other reason that for personal gain at the expense of decency are scum of the earth. You can add in here vultures like Nancy Grace and celebrities (if you can call them that) like Paris Hilton, Justin Bieber, so on.

Most popular TV personalities/actors/character? Meh. No one worth typing in here really.

Have you ever seen anything really memorable on TV (not news/events - made for TV drama, etc.)? Not sure how to answer this, but the Babylon 5 episode where they do the religious festivals from the various worlds sticks with me, especially the ending. It's on the first season, and the title is "Parliament of Dreams." It gives such a simple message, and if nothing else, reminds me how much work our society has to do to learn mutual respect and decency. No, I am not giving you a synopsis. Go watch it.

Do you prefer TV series or stand-alone shows? Varies.

Is there a specific show you find yourself recommending over and over? Right now? Not really. If anything, I just tell people to get some of the older things I like (see above) on DVD and watch those instead. Current tv is just not worth it much.


No comments: