Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Booknote: The Photographer

My small review as I posted it in my GoodReads profile.


The Photographer: Into War-Torn Afghanistan with Doctors Without BordersThe Photographer: Into War-Torn Afghanistan with Doctors Without Borders by Emmanuel Guibert

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is definitely one of the best books I have read this year. Like Robert speaking of the Afghans he lived and worked among, for reading this book, I feel a bit less dumb than I would've been. This book is not only a travelogue, but it is a piece of history as well. The story takes place during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and it is in that country that MSF is doing their work. Didier the photographer goes into the country not knowing a whole lot to be perfectly honest, and he grows personally in the process. While doing so and documenting the work of the MSF, he gives us a glimpse of a country that is at times beautiful and ruthless. We meet a cast of characters that let us see both the good and the bad in the people and the country.

The strength of this book lies in the wonderful combination of photos and the art by Guibert and Lefevre. This is a moving story. It is a gripping story; once you pick it up, you may find it hard to put it down. The photos are just great. I do have to warn readers that some of the photos may be a bit gruesome, but that is just part of the story. This books definitely deserves to get more attention and have more people read it. Overall, the book is a great reading experience.

In terms of appeal factors, readers who read this may also enjoy books like Three Cups of Tea, which I read and reviewed here.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: