Friday, November 18, 2011

The Mandarin Quiz

I have not done one of these online quizzes once in a while, so since it is Friday, I figured it is time to amuse myself once again. My two readers pretty much know the drill that I take it easy on Fridays. In this particular case, the quiz, for what little it may be worth, is surprisingly accurate in describing me. For instance:

  • I do think much of the world would be better if people were better informed. Add to it that skills in critical thinking and information literacy would help. Watching Fox News, reading The Drudge Report, or depending on other "sources" of dubious reputation does not count as being informed. 
  • I do hate when ignorant or dishonest people climb to power, which is why overall I find politics (especially in the U.S.) and politicians to be among the most despicable people on the face of the Earth. This is followed by the asshat enablers who keep voting them in. Some of those asshats may be uninformed, but a lot are just willfully ignorant sheep, and those are the really dangerous ones. 
  • The only thing it may not have gotten as accurate is the belief in people making a difference. I honestly struggle with that, especially these days. Maybe when I was younger and more idealistic, but these days, even as an educator and librarian, I honestly struggle with the idea. I want to believe it, but I do not see much evidence it is possible in the current corporate oligarchic environment. And yet, I continue to work as a librarian in the hope, infinitesimal as it may be, that working to promote use of good information sources will somehow make a difference. 

At any rate, see below and then feel free to take the quiz yourself to see how you do:

I'm a Mandarin!


You're an intellectual, and you've worked hard to get where you are now. You're a strong believer in education, and you think many of the world's problems could be solved if people were more informed and more rational. You have no tolerance for sloppy or lazy thinking. It frustrates you when people who are ignorant or dishonest rise to positions of power. You believe that people can make a difference in the world, and you're determined to try.

Talent: 46%
Lifer: 36%
Mandarin: 59%

Take the Talent, Lifer, or Mandarin quiz.

No comments: