Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Comic Book Issue Note: Artful Daggers: 50 Years Later

Adam P. Knave, et.al., Artful Daggers: 50 Years Later. San Diego, CA: IDW, 2014.  ISBN (for the complete volume coming later): 978-1613778852. (WorldCat link for the full volume)


This is a bit different than my usual booknotes as it is reviewing a single comic issue. It was available via NetGalley as an electronic review copy. Though there appears to be a full book volume, the publisher provided just the teaser, which barely gives enough for a review.

I started reading this, and it looked good as I began reading it. However, the art is basically extremely crowded on the panels, very busy. Telling the characters apart is not easy, and that for me shows someone did not put much effort or just did things a little too quickly. Also, the plot on this series is not always very clear: I know the protagonists were thieves for hire, and that one is mentoring the other. The galley did not come with a description, so I finally had to look it up, and I found a basic description on Amazon.com of all places. This is how they describe the premise:

"Fifty years after a time traveler brings science and technology to the medieval ages, corporations have replaced kingdoms." 

That actually sounds pretty exciting, but the comic as it stands does not really give a sense that is what is going on. Overall, the plot was not clear; the art is not really that good. It was barely an OK read. I will probably will not seek out the rest of the series if this messy volume is any indication of the series' quality. The premise sounds good, once you know what it, but the execution leaves much to be desired.

I am giving it 2 out of 5 stars, but barely.

No comments: