Friday, April 04, 2014

Booknote: The Killer Omnibus, Vol. 1

Matz, The Killer Omnibus, Vol. 1. Los Angeles, CA: Archaia, 2013. ISBN: 9781936393756.


I am listing this one as one of the best reading experiences I have recently enjoyed. This volume is a translation from the original French work. In this volume, our protagonist is a hitman who is the first to admit that he is in for the money. He is also a very practical man who strives to survive in very turbulent times. And he needs a sharp, keen instinct and an ability to adapt, for no matter how well one plans, things can take bad turns in the blink of an eye.

The author presents an excellent character study of a killer who strives to keep things together. We get a glimpse into his mind as we see his jobs, his clients, and his targets. This is a narrative to read and savor with action as well as reflection. Some reviewers say this could make a good film, and I will agree. However I would rather not see it as a film for fear of how badly Hollywood would fuck it up, probably turn it into some stupid "shoot them up," which this is clearly not.

Matz takes us deep into the mind and life of the Killer; it's like we are there with him through the ups and downs. Jacamon's art brings it all to life with good attention to detail as well as great panels and layout. Jacamon has the ability to make us feel that we are there.

This is one I definitely would love to own; I borrowed it from my local public library. It is one I definitely recommend for public libraries with graphic novel and comics collections. Academic libraries with graphic novel and comics collections definitely want to consider adding this one to their collections as it is a good quality work.

I am definitely giving this one the full 5 out of 5 stars.

For those in readers' advisory, some similar works that I have read:

  • The 100 Bullets series.
  • A History of Violence
  • The Road to Perdition. This one seems very appropriate for me as both protagonists in this and in Matz's work are "every man" kind of characters. However, Matz's character does not have a family (as far as we know at this point). 

No comments: