Friday, May 30, 2014

Booknote: American Vampire, Vol. 6

Scott Snyder, Rafael Albuquerque et.al,, American Vampire, Volume 6. New York: DC Comics, 2014. ISBN: 9781401247089.



This volume compiles American Vampire: The Long Road to Hell, #1 and American Vampire Antthology 1. This series continues to be a very good reading experience. I have enjoyed the  volumes I have read so far, some better than others, but overall, the series remains very good. In this sixth volume, we get two stories. One is Skinner Sweet reflecting a bit on stories told about him and stories he has heard. This leads to a small anthology of vampire stories, some with nice horror twists. The second story, the title story, deals with a young couple dreaming to leave the small town and get married. Unfortunately, they get bitten by vampires, and the local vampire lord wants them as minions. They manage to escape, but that is only part of their long journey.

The stories grip you from the start. Once I started reading, I just kept on going to the very end. I enjoyed the first part as one enjoys a series of treats. In some cases, the stories did feel a bit short, but they were still pretty good overall. The title story was strong and moving demonstrating how this series remains strong. Snyder is definitely in the zone on these, and for me, this continues to be a series that is a must-read, especially if you want a good, solid vampire story. Sparkly vampires need not apply. We do have to mention Albuquerque's art that brings the stories to life with good use of color and shadows. The way some of the figures seem a bit elongated, such as the vampire claws, I think adds a bit more to the terror element. It just makes the dark world of the vampires, a world right under the world the rest of the people know, a bit more surreal perhaps. Anyhow, the art is another good reason to be picking this up.

I really liked it, so I am giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclosure: The mandatory stuff I have to type to tell you that I read this as an e-book review copy via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. You know, so The Man is satisfied everything is kosher. 

No comments: