Friday, November 28, 2014

Booknote: First two volumes of Brian K. Vaughan's Saga

Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (art), Saga, Vol. 1. Berkeley, CA: Image Comics, 2013. ISBN: 9781607066019.


With the first volume, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I thought this was just going to be another star-crossed lovers story, but there is much more. The author pulls together science fiction and fantasy to create a tale of adventure and wonder. Marko and his bride Alana, who are soldiers on opposing sides of a galactic war, fall in love and conceive a child. Now, both sides want them dead, and then young family is on the run. The story plays out in a true epic fashion with elements of fantasy and magic. Much of the story is told from the child's  point of view, Hazel, which adds some sense of scale. Overall, this is an excellent story with great art by Fiona Staples.

If you ask me, I give this 5 out of 5 stars.


Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (art), Saga, Vol. 2. Berkeley, CA; Image Comics, 2013. ISBN: 9781607066927.


The second volume was also a quick read; once you pick one of these up, you just keep going. The story here continues to grow in depth. When things cannot get more complicated, Hazel's paternal grandparents show up and come to live with them. The story continues with the excellent art by Fiona Staples. The blend of magic and science fiction continues to provide the sense of wonder. This was one I enjoyed, and I will certainly be looking for the next one.

If you ask me, I also give this 5 out of 5 stars. Yes, so far, it's that good.

No comments: