Saturday, January 17, 2015

Of course I am doing a library related book challenge

First, I am a librarian. Second, I am a librarian who reads. Third, a lot of the books I read come from libraries, either my workplace library or my local public library. So when I saw there was a library-related challenge happening, I had to take a look and try it out. Last year I read a bit over 50 books from libraries, so I think I can do OK on this. However, since I am balancing other reading challenges, I will play it safe. Anyhow, here we go.




The basics are as follows. Click on the link above for the full post and to sign up if so moved:

  • "Runs January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2015. You can join any time."
  • "The goal is to read at least twelve (12) books from the library. Twelve should be easy, that’s one a month. While twelve is the minimum, there is no maximum limit. See the different levels below and pick the one that works best for you."
  • Also nice that you can cross books from other challenges, and any genre and format works. 

Based on what I know I can do, I think I can commit to the following level:

Overdrive Junkie: read 36 books

As I usually do, I will add books to the list as I read them. I will add the links to the reviews as I post the reviews on the blog.

List of books read for this challenge:

  1.  Diane Muldrow, Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned from a Little Golden Book
  2. Jane and Michael Stern, Two for the Road: Our Love Affair with American Food
  3. Cornel West, with Christa Buschendorf, Black Prophetic Fire
  4. Lawrence Osborne, The Wet and the Dry
  5. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 5
  6. Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays, Being Dead Is No Excuse
  7. Henrik Lange, 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry
  8. Caitlin Doughty, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory
  9. Michael R. Veach, Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
  10. James Luceno, Star Wars: Tarkin.
  11. W. Haden Blackman, Darth Vader and the Lost Command
  12. Fred W. Sauceman, Buttermilk and Bible Burgers
  13. Martin Luther King, Jr., The Radical King.
  14. Nick Kyme and Lindsey Priestly, eds., Tales of Heresy (The Horus Heresy, Book 10).
  15. Jennifer S. Baker, The Readers' Advisory Guide to Historical Fiction.
  16. Steve McNiven and Charles Soule, Death of Wolverine
  17. Nelson A. Denis, War Against All Puerto Ricans.  
  18. Jim Davis, Garfield: The Big Cheese.
  19. Michael Bendis, Age of Ultron.
  20. Corina Sara Bechko, Heathentown.
  21. Fred Van Lente, et.al;., Hulk: Season One.
  22. Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou, Deadman Wonderland, Volume 2.
  23. Brian Keene, Castaways.
  24. John Lewis, et.al., March: Book Two.
  25. Mitch Broder, Discovering Vintage New York.
  26. Jim Davis, My Laughable Life with Garfield.
  27. Jim Davis: Garfield: 30 Years of Laughs and Lasagna. (scheduled for 12/18/15)
  28. Paul Kingsbury, Vinyl Hayride. (scheduled for 12/23/15)
  29. David Solmonson and Lesley Jacobs Solmonson, The 12 Bottle Bar. (scheduled for 12/31/15)
  30. Tom Krattenmaker, The Evangelicals You Don't Know.  
  31. Matthew Algeo, Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure.  (scheduled for 11/13/15)
  32. Jim Davis, Garfield Takes His Licks.
  33. Jim Davis, Garfield Will Eat for Food.
  34. Jim Davis, Garfield Souped Up.
  35. Jim Davis, Garfield Goes to his Happy Place
  36. Jim Davis, Garfield Left Speechless
  37. Jeremy Barlow, et.al., Star Wars, The Clone Wars: The Colossus of Destiny
  38. Mike W. Barr, et.al., Star Wars, The Clone Wars: The Starcrusher Trap
  39. Kevin B. Eastman and Peter Laird, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, Volume 2

Update note (11/12/15): Challenge completed with 39 books read and reviewed. The remaining book reviews not linked yet are written and scheduled to appear on the blog by year's end. I will add the links as they go live. Reading library books was a fairly easy part. Writing up the reviews in a timely fashion not so much, but I have gotten a bit better at it this year. I do have some more library books I am currently reading, and I may add them to the list if time allows. Most of the library books for the challenge came from my local public library, but there are also some from my work library and one or two interlibrary loans. I will probably do the challenge next year if offered.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Could've sworn I commented here last night. Oh well. I do not see any real requirement regarding extensiveness of a review but I guess each book for credit will require a link so at the very minimum entered into Goodreads or Shelfari and thus having a link to supply. I have also already finished 13 books from the public library this year. I guess, are the requirements as minimal as they seem. Can link them at any time (not month-by-month like gnc) & a link for each book?

Anonymous said...

You know what? Don't worry about answering any of the above. It seems an immense amount of extra work to say I read a book from the public library. I generally do that in various ways, although I did realize I was not in my 2015gnc reviews. Template is fixed going forward. | Thanks!

A. Rivera said...

Mark: I did not see this right away, but glad you are squared away.

Best, and keep on blogging.