Saturday, June 27, 2015

What's on Deck? What I am reading now, June 27, 2015

I saw this idea for a post at Rhodia Drive here. So, I decided to give it a try, and I may make this type of post a semi-regular feature here on the blog. So, as of this week, this is what I am working on reading now or in the queue to read next right away.







I have quite a bit on my nightstand, so to speak. It is a combination of graphic novels, fiction, and nonfiction, which is how I tend to read. Usually my deck is not as filled as it is this week, but the review items arrived at about the same time. Since I could not stagger them a bit, I slowed down on other things to get them read. So, this week, I am working on the following:


  • Time on Two Crosses: The Collected Writings of Bayard Rustin. I am reading this for review, but I am also interested in it because of June being LGBTQIA Pride Month. In addition, I am considering it for purchase for my library. I should have a review for it at the end of next week. 
  • Best Sex Writing of the Year, Volume 1. This is one I am also reading for review. I have not gotten far into it yet, but I did start it. As it is a collection of essays and short pieces, it is one I pick up when I can.
  • Come Again: Sex Toy Erotica. This is for review as well, and it is at the moment my fiction selection as well. At the moment, I am bit behind on it, but you can expect my review soon. It is an anthology edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel, an editor whose works I have enjoyed before, so I expect this will be good too. 
  • Discovering Vintage New York. This is a selection from my local public library. I picked this one up strictly on impulse. The library had a small display of travel books, and this one caught my eye. It is guide book with short entries, so I read an entry or two here or there as I go. This one I will read along as I have time. 
  • Heathentown. This is one of the graphic novel selections I picked up from my local public library. I have not started it yet. It looks like I can mark it for the 2015 Horror Reading Challenge I am doing this  year. It is a pretty short work, so I anticipate a quick read once I do get to it.
  • March: Book Two: I continue to read the story of Congressman John Lewis in the days of the Civil Rights Movement. I read and enjoyed the first book, so I am really looking forward to reading this one. I picked it up from my local public library. As soon as I finish some of the books for reviews I will get to it. 
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 3: Guardians Disassembled. Another selection from my local public library. I picked this up because I happen to  like Guardians of the Galaxy. Again, as soon as I get through the books I need to get done first, I will get to this.
And then I have three on my e-reader. These are NetGalley selections, so they are not pictured above:

  • Gotham Academy, Volume 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy. This is the story of Olive Silverlock, a young girl at the weird Gotham Academy. Gotham Academy is an exclusive prep school basically. She is there on a scholarship it seems. I just started it. So far, seems one of those Batman without Batman stories. We'll see. I am reading it now to get it done before the file expires. My review should be out soon. 
  •  Bodies. This is another graphic novel, a tale of four detectives across four time periods. This is the one I will be reading as soon as I get done with Gotham Academy.
  • Arms and the Dudes. This is about a very unlikely group of  young men who became gun runners for the Pentagon and the U.S. Army. I started it about couple of weeks ago, and I paused in reading it to get to the books for review. So far, it is very riveting, so I expect my review will be favorable overall. This is a story you have to read to believe. As soon as I get done with the nonfiction above, I will be back into this one. 

No comments: