Friday, September 04, 2015

Booknote: Problem Identified: and You're Probably Not Part of the Solution

Scott Adams, Problem Identified: and You're Probably Not Part of the Solution. Kansas City, MO: Andrews McMeel, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-7407-8534-4.

Genre:Comics
Subgenre: workplace humor
Series: Dilbert comic strip
Format: paperback
Source: I own this (bought it cheap at Ollie's Bargain Outlet).

I needed some good humor, and the Dilbert comics are always a good place to find it. It's a comic strip largely for the corporate world, but I often find things that I can relate to as a librarian. I think that may be one of the not so popular truths in librarianship: Dilbert speaks a lot of truth to what we do as well. This time I read volume 34 of the series, and it is one dedicated to the pointy-haired boss. If you have had a less than an ideal boss, this is the book for you. I've had a less than idea boss here and there, so I did find some good humor to lighten up things here. In this volume, we get a good selection of the boss's misdeeds and mismanagement, his list of worst hits if you will.The guy is outright incompetent, yet he is the boss.

One of my favorite moments is the boss attempting to write a mission statement. Having been through college and university accreditation processes, I thought of that as I read about writing mission statements. Another good moment was the boss attempting to provide vision for his workers. It seems vision is not all it is cracked up to be. And then came the "Dignity Enhancement Program." Just ponder that one.

Overall, this is another good volume in the series. If' you've read the strip before, then you will enjoy this. If not, what are you waiting for? This may be a good entrance point. I really liked this one.

4 out of 5 stars.


No comments: