Thursday, January 14, 2016

Doing a new LGBTQIA Reading Challenge in 2016

Last year, I did an LGBTIQIA reading challenge. I wanted to diversify my reading a bit as well as just learn more to be a good supportive ally. I did complete the challenge, and I wanted to do it again this year. However, the challenge did not seem to be available, but I was able to find a new one. This new challenge I got the impression initially it was just fiction. Since last year, I read mostly nonfiction, I asked the host, and they said nonfiction is OK. I will try to add one or two fiction selections to my list, but odds are good nonfiction will dominate. This new for me challenge is hosted by the same nice folks who are hosting the Backlist Books challenge I am doing.





Click the link for full details and to sign up if so moved. Here are some rule highlights:

  • This challenge will run from January 1st, 2016 to December 31st, 2016.
  • The book must contain an LGBTQIA main character. (With nonfiction, this may or not get tricky, though from what I have read, there is at least one major character or person involved, so should be OK.)
  • Backlist books also count as part of this challenge. (This will help me with that other reading challenge too.)

Since this a new challenge for this year, I am going to start at the lower level. If I read more, I will upgrade. So, I will commit initially to the following level:

Red = 5 books (levels are rainbow colors)


Again, as always, I will make the list of books as I go along. I will link the reviews as I post them to the blog.

 List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously...I'm Kidding (audiobook edition).
  2. Benjamin Law, Gaysia.

Update note (12/30/16): This is the one challenge that fell by the wayside for me. I just did not seek out books for this challenge as much as I got caught up with other books. That, and the crappy end of the year 2016. It is still a worthy challenge as it is a way to diversify my reading. However, I may or not sign up again if offered in 2017 as I may consider doing less reading challenges overall in 2017. We will see.

No comments: