Saturday, January 09, 2016

Doing some scary reading in 2016: the Horror Reading Challenge

I did this challenge in 2015, and I liked it better than I thought. Reading Castaways reminded me how much I like the genre, so I would like to try reading more in horror this year. Similar to last year, I still have some titles in my bookshelf that fall under horror that could qualify for this challenge. I hope to read some of those for this challenge as well as cross read them for the 2016 TBR Reading Challenge (post on that coming soon). In addition, the hosts this year have added some small changes to the challenge to keep things interesting, so I am going to take a chance. So, here we go.






Here are some of the challenge details. Click on the image or the link above for more information and/or if you wish to join as well.

  • This challenge will run from January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016.
  • Audiobooks, re-reads, short stories, and crossovers are fine. (This will work well with some of the other challenges I plan to try out this year). 

Though last year I made it to the "Brave Reader" level, I am going to start low to give myself some leeway given the other challenges I want to attempt. As always, if I read more, I will upgrade my reading level. So, I will initially commit to the following level:

Read and review 1-5 horror books to receive the Running Scared badge.


As I usually do with reading challenges, I will add books to the list as I get to them.

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Donny Cates, The Ghost Fleet, Volume 1
  2. Richard Matheson, Hell House
  3. Kim Andersoon, The Complete Love Hurts
  4. Donny Cates, The Ghost Fleet, Volume 2.  
  5. Corinna Sara Bechko, Aliens/Vampirella.  
  6. Gustavo Duarte, Monsters! and Other Stories.

Update note (11/29/16): Challenge completed with six books. Given we are in the final stretch of the year, and even though I do have one or two more horror books to read soon, I am not going to upgrade for this year. If the challenge is offered next year, I am likely to try it again.


No comments: