Friday, November 03, 2017

Booknote: Ahsoka

E.K. Johnston, Ahsoka. Los Angeles, CA: Disney/Lucasfilm Press, 2016. ISBN: 978-148470566-7.

Genre: Science Fiction
Subgenre: space opera, young adult, Star Wars
Format: hardcover
Source: Berea branch of the Madison County (KY) Public Library

This young adult novel tells the story between the time Ahsoka leaves the Jedi Order towards the end of the Clone Wars series and her appearance as Rebel operative Fulcrum in the Star Wars Rebels series. The book was interesting for me in terms of following the character after Clone Wars; I had recently finished watching the series DVDs, so I was curious. However, the novel does have a very slow build up initially, which bogs down the narrative pace. Once the book picks up around the middle of the book, it starts to get entertaining. The book also features various flashback episodes filling other gaps in the story. We even get some glimpses of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Overall, I liked it a little bit, but given its slow pace I found it hard to get into. I am sure hardcore fans will likely find the book of interest. If you've enjoyed both series, you might enjoy this. It is a young adult title, so it has a lighter feel than novels like Tarkin for example. Ahsoka is another example of character novels that Disney is putting out now that they own Star Wars. Besides Tarkin, there is also Kenobi. Kenobi has a bit more similar feel to Ahsoka. Personally, I liked Tarkin better. As I said, I think many fans will enjoy it. I thought it was OK, but it was nice to follow Ahsoka a bit more.

2 out of 5 stars.

This book qualifies for the following 2017 Reading Challenges:



No comments: