Friday, December 01, 2017

Booknote: G.I. Joe: Future Noir

Andy Schmidt, et.al., G.I.Joe: Future Noir. San Diego, CA: IDW, 2011. ISBN: 978-1600108655.

Genre: comics and graphic novels
Subgenre: manga, G.I. Joe
Format: paperback
Source: Bought on clearance at Half Price Books (but I will be weeding it out of my collection)

This is the comic's first manga adventure, and as far as I am concerned, it should be the last one and never spoken of ever again. IDW usually does well with G.I. Joe comics, so I honestly do not know why they allowed this  mess to be published.

The plot barely makes sense. It is something about Cobra unleashing giant plant monsters in Japan or other. So you may think monster movie in Tokyo kind of thing, but with  G.I. Joe. That actually sounds kind of cool, but that is not quite what  you get. In addition, the characters are not right. I know they are adapting them to manga, but Duke for instance is nothing like the Duke we know. It not just the looks; it's the actions. Duke, for example, acts more like a horny teenager than a decent soldier. The other characters are not much better.

This is one to definitely skip. I did not like it, and I definitely would not recommend it. It should have stayed in the clearance rack of the bookstore where I found it. If you see this, do not bother. This book fails both as a manga and as a G.I. Joe comic.

1 out of 5 stars (barely).

This book qualifies for the following 2017 Reading Challenges:



No comments: