Friday, May 04, 2018

Booknote: Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion

Dave Filoni, et.al., Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (cinestory comic). Toronto, ON: Joe Books, 2017.  ISBN: 978-1-77275-340-0.

Genre: comics and graphic novels
Subgenre: science fiction, space opera, Star Wars, adaptations
Format: paperback
Source: Berea branch of the Madison County (KY) Public Library


This book is labeled as a "cinestory comic." It is basically a frame by frame adaptation of the first five episodes of the Disney show. I'll note that I watched the first episode on TV when the series came out, and I did not find it too interesting, so I went on and forgot about it. However, I recently saw this book at my local public library. I got curious and picked it up. I found myself liking it, and I may go back and look for the show on DVD later.

If you've watched the show, then there is nothing new here. You are just reading the first five episodes in pictures. If you've never seen the show, this can be a good introduction to it and help you decide if you want to watch it or not. The art is good overall though some frames are a bit darker, and one or two frames were not as clear in what they depict (I had to really look a bit closer. Not sure if those did not translate as well from the animation). Still, the comic was a good read overall. I liked it in the end, but it was no big deal. I'd probably read a next one if they publish one.

3 out of 5 stars.


No comments: